Saturday, October 27, 2012

"Snow White with Worms"

Snow White with Worms
RebekkaIvacson
Mixed Media


I found this wonderful piece on deviantART Daily Deviations and was totally struck by it! On D.A. when you're a premium member you can ask for art critiques of it and so I wrote one and submitted it! I just loved this piece so much I wanted my readers to see it. I would also definitely recommend checking out the rest of her gallery its pretty great.


 My Deviant Art Critique:
From the get go I must say this is such an emotive piece and a fine choice for a daily deviation. The interpretation of our classic princess is startling and yet rings true in a way that is hard to put into words.

One of the elements that pulls the viewer in would have to subject and content in that she is in the laying position but has her eyes open, so unlike traditional portrayals. The expression is one of such vacancy, almost resigned sadness.

Another powerful technique that is used in this piece is the wonderful distortion of the figure-ground relationship. The three seemingly separate "levels" work cohesively and seem to blend in some parts: the worms come up straight along the bottom but then a couple travel along her neck. The edges of her face at some points very sharp and in other parts seem to bleed back onto the papers in the far back.

Though this figure-ground relationship is one of my favorite aspects of the work I would say I would have liked to see this fading effect carried out into white space a bit more, it seems like a harsh jump from the papers to the white space and I think if the transition was smoothed it would help contribute to this "bleeding" feeling that the piece is giving off.

That effect is carried very well in the rest of the piece though, the smattering of the paint and allowing it to drip is stunning and echos the lines of those worms very nicely. I also really liked the choice to pop those worms out with sharp small white lines. The fact that they were not filled in gave the impression of them tunneling into her.

Over all such an amazing emotive piece! It is definitely very haunting and it is one of my favorite pieces I have seen in a very long while. Wonderful work!


Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment