Monday, May 14, 2012

Clouds: Final Project

just hanging out in the trees being a cloud
Three Dimensional Design, a very fun class :) Sad to see it go really. Though at the intro of this project I was scared to death.

(feel free to skip down to the photos if you like)

Assignment: Motion in Three Dimensions.....uhhh wait what? So any guidelines Mr. Teacher? Nope, just make it move. Okay...grand.



I was super freaked out, I had no clue what to do for a while and was very afraid. When I took sketches in there was a hodgepodge of ideas, most involving fountains or water of some type. And one of my last sketches had this idea where I made a 2-d cloud out of wire and filled it with 3-d fluff and had it move in the wind. There we have it folks the random sketch is the one we decide I should go with. Still terrified.

Home Depot: A cute little old man sees my obviously not home improvement outfit (leggings and tunic with hair and make up done) and sees I need some help. I tell him I need some heavy gauge wire and we go searching. After a bit I end up with this pretty silver twelve gauge wire and I am on top of the world! My confidence is buzzing.

Class Period Numero Uno: Panic. I made a childish cloud shape alright, in the right size range we talked about (six feet long) but guess what? It wont stand up by itself or hold its shape! Crap, I might have to scrap the whole projects and my expensive supplies (well for a college student).

Class Period Two: Rehash ideas; solution: lots of little clouds!

After that it was all down hill as I strung and fluffed and hot glued and tied my way into this project. 8 hours spent outside of our two class weeks later and I had a project! We decided that I should hang them outside of the art building in trees (like the fog is hovering in the trees, I thought it was pretty cool).

And without further ado: my cloud project!

there were four trees set up in an almost perfect square so I decided to do them in a square, enclosing a geometric shape with organic objects :) Clouds+Trees

Love the way my clouds looked against the real ones in the sky

experimented a lot with photo composition while shooting these clouds

love the way the light peeked through
especially the intersection, cars in clouds aren't as pretty

I can't decide if it would have looked better with the clouds in trees in the wilderness or if the campus element adds to the ascetic
it was hard to shoot these angles with the streets and not get cars in them
I don't know why but I just love this with the stop light and the cloud, beautiful
we got some really good movement from the wind because my fluff was light enough to sway a lot
used white embroidery thread to string the fluff balls
I loved how the metal parts were more stylized and childish while the fluff ran closer to how natural clouds really are
just like a little kid looking at the shapes in the clouds
used fishing line to hang the clouds and suspend them from the trees
I love that the metal I found was more of a silver than a darker color like tie wire, makes me think of a silver lining :) cheesy I know
fluffy!
the light was so cool!




Carly :)
P.S. professor loved it...might not have loved that I forgot to take it down and the groundskeepers did it...oops

1 comment:

  1. such a fun project, creative and silly all at once. glad the prof liked it :) bonus!

    ReplyDelete