Sunday, January 22, 2012

Civil Disobedience

Okay so for my literature class we were assigned to read "Resistance to Civil Government" by Thoreau. 
WOW! I must say this is a truly amazing piece of art! This is definitely the most inspiring essays I have read in a long time! I just couldn't put down my highlighter when I was reading and I am going to talk about a few of the quotes I grabbed from it.
 
"...but if it of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law...I do not lend myself to the wrong which I condemn."
Here Thoreau is talking about unjust laws and wow. I think that the idea was and still is so revolutionary that no matter what the law is you still have to do what you think is right. I mean I'm not going to go around blowing up animal research centers or anything (*cough* PETA*cough) but really this is so amazing to me. That what is right and what is wrong isn't always represented by government and when it isn't we have to be the ones to step it up and defy it.

"...be locked up in the county jail...For it matters not how small the beginning may seem to be: what is once well done is done forever."
In this section he was saying that if even one man was to stop paying taxes in the name of the abolition of slavery that he was certain that it would be the beginning of that abolition. I think that the idea still rings true today. If we are willing to take a real stand, not just a vote or a petition, then it will make a real impact. This makes me entertain more extremist thoughts and really makes me want to march on gay rights and even makes me willing to go to jail for it. It does make a difference.


"Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison."
What is a just man? A just man is someone who actually follows what he says. Thoreau also said in this essay: "There are nine hundred and ninety-nine patrons of virtue to one virtuous man." So many of us proclaim our unhappiness at the injustices in this world when none of us actually take any action. It is cowardice.


"Cast your whole vote, not a strip of paper merely, but your whole influence. A minority is powerless while it conforms to the majority; it is not even a minority then; but it is irresistible when it clogs by its whole weight."
If every one of us who supports gay marriage or any worthy cause would use every once of influence we have to work towards a fair institution in this country then we would be mighty. The majority machine of this country would stop and tremble under our actions.


"When the subject has refused allegiance, and the officer has resigned his office, then the revolution is accomplished."
Right before this he gave advice to any public officer that wishes to further a cause and tells them to resign. Because when the government has lost the allegiance and support of its people this is true revolution. Publicly and personally outcry against the institution that supports something you think is wrong. Don't just privately disdain it! CALL OUT and defy it with everything you have!


"The best thing a man can do for his culture when his rich is to endeavor to carry out those schemes which he entertained when he was poor."
At this point in the essay Thoreau states his opinions on wealth. He points out that when a man has enough money to wonder how to spend it the options can corrupt him. When we are poor we see others suffering and we say "if I had enough money I would save all the starving in africa" or "I would fund a homeless shelter" yet so many times once one becomes rich they forget the suffering of their fellow men. It is best to remember those poor ambitions and carry them out when you do have the finances to do them.


"This makes it impossible for a man to live honestly and at the same time comfortably in outward respects."
Here he is saying because our government will strike us down and put us in jail or take our property if we refuse to pay tax or rebel against its laws it makes it impossible for a truly honest man to be able to live comfortably because to be virtuous and just and honest is to be scorned by those who don't want to be rebelled against.
 
MAN! This essay just sparked fire in my blood! I want to go to a rally or a march! I want to protest, to boycott to write letters! I want to be heard! No matter the cost! I am joining my local chapters of orginazations I believe in ASAP but right now I want to call to you, to think of the injustices in the world that boil your blood and encourage you to take action, not just cast a ballet or sign a petition but real action!
 
"So is all change for the better, like birth and death which convulse the body" 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment