Monday, November 7, 2011

Remember Remember the Fifth of Novmember




So I had never seen V for Vendetta until this November 5th two days ago. My friend had a little 5 person get together to watch it on the day that is so vilified in the movie. I must say the only thing I knew about this movie is that there is a vigilantly in a mask who rebels against the bad guys.



I was astounded by this film! The opening speech alone! I mean look at it:

But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace soubriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona. Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
Verily this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.
So much poetry! My jaw dropped in the first five minutes! The eloquence of the character V is amazing. I just could do nothing but stare transfixed on the screen when every V appeared. (it is currently very hard for me to not use an exclamation mark on every line, just so you know)
I think everyone in the English speaking world should watch this movie. I understand that because it is R some of my Mormon family and friends may not wish to see it. I will say that it is rated R for some language and blood, thought neither are excessive and are used to the full artistic effect.
This movie promotes so many amazing social commentaries and alludes to some of the troubles in our time now and in our past. The Chancellor, for example, is very similar to Adolf Hitler. One thing that stuck out to me was that most classic art was banned and confiscated and those with art work, especially religiously controversial art work were arrested or killed.
Another thing that the film presented was the idea that "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." This phrase also related to the power of political activism and how one person may not be able to stand against the institutions that rule them but when people come together to fight for their rights it has massive effect.
Man, I cannot stop raving about this movie! I want to own it! Anybody want to get it for me for Christmas? (puppy dog eyes) 
Carly
P.S. Mustaches were required for this party :)
 

1 comment: