Tuesday, December 13, 2011

It isn't Christmas Time.

I've always loved Christmas. Until I became a Christian. I don't think very many people reading this will really understand how I'm feeling. I don't like Christmas anymore because I really don't feel like it is CHRISTmas any more I feel like it's GIFTmas.



The commercialization of Christmas makes me sick. We are all focused on the gifts no one needs and the food no one finishes. Yes, Christmas does bring out charity in some people but really, shouldn't we be acting generous all year round? Not just because there is snow on the ground and you feel guilty for spending so much on things no one needs.

I think it's really sad that as I go about trying to think of personal gifts for the people in my life that I am worried about if they will think badly of me for doing a gift that isn't necessarily material or expensive. The whole idea of gift giving is skewed. Gift giving was originally meant to echo the gifts of the three kings to the Christ child not to stave off hurt feelings.

Think of this: what do you give someone who has everything? You either give them something that might not be much to them but shows them your self sacrifice or you give them something that you created, something unique. I think that if a gift doesn't fit into these categories then it doesn't belong under the tree.

This holiday season I am going to try to give gifts that show my love for that person, that will bring us closer together, gifts that keep giving not just gifts that will end up at Goodwill in two years.

I really hope that this season my family and I will be able to focus on family and on the ultimate gift that was given through Jesus Christ.

Carly

1 comment:

  1. I love this post Carly, you've done it again!
    As you know, we became Christians together, and I'm here to tell you that my feelings on Christmas are quite the same. The hustle and bustle of running around to different families, opening gifts that were fretted over and kept 'secret' leaves little time in most people's thoughts for Christ.
    At least there are a lot of Christmas eve Church services to somewhat deepen the experience for some people.

    ReplyDelete