Monday, October 17, 2011

If You Don't Have The Courage To Do It Alone, You Don't Really Have The Courage At All

Last night I went and performed at Poetry and a Beverage. This is the piece I read:



If You Live Each Day As If It Was Your Last, Someday You’ll Most Certainly Be Right
A Found Poem for Steve Jobs

Your time is limited, don’t waste it
living someone else’s life.
You’ve got to find what you love.
You have to trust in
something—your gut, destiny,
life, karma, whatever.
You’ll know when you find it.
Don’t settle.
Don’t let the noise of
other’s opinions drown out
your own inner voice.
There is no reason not to
follow your heart.
Every morning I ask myself
“If today were the last day
 of my life, would I want to do
what I am about to do today?”
Whenever the answer has been
“No” for too many days in a
row, I know I need to
change something.
Remembering that you
are going to die is the best
way I know to avoid
the trap of thinking you
have something to lose.
All external expectations,
all pride, all fear of
embarrassment or failure,
just fall in the face of death,
leaving only what is important.
Death is the destination we all share.
No one has ever escaped it.
Right now the new is you,
but someday not too long from now,
you will gradually become the old
and be cleared away.
Have the courage to follow
your heart and intuition.
They somehow already know
what you truly want to become.
Everything else is secondary.
So keep looking until you find it.
It just gets better and better
as the years roll on.

No comments:

Post a Comment