Saturday, June 30, 2012

For Narnia!!!

Okay finally I've finished The Chronicles of Narnia! I must say that I wish I had read them sooner! I will definitely be giving them to my kids when they are little.


C.S. Lewis's The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Ya know, it is kind of funny how my opinion of the movies vs books keep flip flopping from book to book. This one I liked the book much more, I really didn't like the movie because it seemed so frantic and confusing. C.S. Lewis sets the pace really well and the little interludes between dramatic scenes are nice breathing points in the book.

Definitely an adventure tale, this would make any child want to travel the high seas. It was nice to read because, even though I like a book that I can't put down, this one I could put down because of those nice breathing points. I did want to pick it back up though, it wasn't boring it was just well paced :). I liked how so many ideas I've seen come out in more recent fiction and movies were brought up first by C.S. Lewis (fallen stars being animate people for example as in the book and movie Star Dust).

A good read all around!


C.S. Lewis's The Silver Chair


This one had me by the edge of my seat more than the last. It was a nice change though in that this book encounters very different landscapes and adventures than the other books. I really liked Jill in this book, she was very relateable, especially how she feels disappointed in herself a couple times as we all do, it was done very tastefully. A fun adventure tale, definitely not one to skip, especially because it sets some things up for the last one.


C.S. Lewis's The Last Battle
Loved this one! It is about, if not more, allegorical as The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. This was a perfect wrap up to the series and brings amazing closure to the whole idea of Narnia. I think I liked this one the most because of my Christian background. The allegories give some pretty nice ideas and ways to look at the end of the world. It was written quite beautifully and the struggles between what is real and what is fake is wonderfully illustrated. A beautiful ending to a wonderful series.




Reading this series has been a wonderful journey. It is such an easy to read series that has a wonderful tale of adventure from any stand point. The religious metaphor is tactful and not too overbearing for my taste. It is well written and well imagined with fascinating creatures, places and tales that will inspire all of its readers. I hope anyone loving fantastical adventures has or will read this series. I will most definitely be reading it to my children some day.

Thanks for coming with me on this journey!
Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment