Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Shoe Project: 3D Design

The assignment: To create a shoe at least 1.5x its normal size and broken down into flat planes. Any material was allowed as long as it was approved first.

The inspiration:
So I love this shoe so much, it was for a power girl costume last year...very kinky

I liked the shapes that this boot offered and the unique way the materials interacted with each other

Pleather??? I don't know but it's cool

I liked how the heel, platform and toe were in different colors it made it a good place to distinguish in my project

My professor was telling me to pick a material that would imitate the stiff yet floppy nature of the shoe



The final project:

I chose to use craft foam in blue and white. The foam was stiff enough to create planes yet malleable enough to give it that floppy effect.

I wanted to make sure to capture some of the detailing of the shoe without over whelming the project.

Lots of little in's and out's to shape the shoe

I specifically misconstrued the shoe to make it look more painful, ie. the place where it hurts my foot the most on the front of the shoe goes in like it is pushing on a foot.

Getting that depth in the flopped over top was hard because I wanted it to be flat so bad!

So it took me forever to realize but I had the proportions of the heel length totally off until  the day before when I fixed it. I was wondering why it was looking wrong and now it looks much more like a shoe on the bottom than a platform.



The grade: 97.5% :) "A" baby!!!! I was really happy. We also did a critique in class where we went around and gave one of our ten votes to people and the 10 with the highest votes got critiqued in depth and the others weren't. I got in the top ten :) so not only did my professor like it but my peers did too. I was really happy.

Carly

2 comments: